[Dhsbb-symph] New Band Fundraiser starting Friday: No Show Tea Party

Cynthia Kerner cjkerner at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 24 09:27:43 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,
This Friday we'll be starting our next fundraiser, the Tea Party.  This is a major fundraiser for boosters, last year bringing in almost $6,000, and the year prior when going to New York it brought in $14,000!  It is a letter writing campaign, aimed to solicit donors for financial contributions to the band.  The letters are inviting the donor to a No Show Tea Party, and will include a tea bag they can use to make a cup of tea for themselves.  It's a gimmick to get their attention!
This is a fundraiser for the entire band program.  Remember that boosters pays for purchasing and repairing instruments, buying music, guest instructors (in particular this year to help substitute for Mr. Slabaugh during his absence), local music festivals, concerts, Victoria trip, and more!

How it works: on Friday in class students will receive a manila envelope packet with the letters and envelopes they'll need.  Instructions are in the packet as well.  Once the packet is complete, turn it in next week to Mr. Slabaugh, then I will collect them.  Then boosters assembles the letters with tea bags to send out to potential donors.
I've attached in this email a copy of the instructions, and the donation letter, for more information for you in advance.  Also, for those of you who know of potential donors abroad, or would prefer to email rather than snail mail, you have an electronic copy you can use to send to donors.
So who should be preparing the letters? Band students! This is a chance for the students to help fund their band program.  This is YOUR band, and now is a time where YOU can help.  (Parents, please help with providing names and addresses, and perhaps a nudge to remind your student to complete the packet and turn it in.)
Whoshould receive a letter? Here are some ideas:
Grandparents, aunts anduncles, Godparents, neighbors, out of town family members, Music Lovingfriends, music teachers, friends who have asked you to support theiractivities, people you know from Scouts, church, work, activities, your petsitter, families you have bought girl scout cookies from, a celebrity! (Do not send to businesses or professionals, that will be a separate fundraiser coming soon).
Now, we understand not everyone will want to partake in this fundraiser, as some will not want to solicit family members.  But we've had families in the past express their pleasure when an unexpected donation came from an uncle, or a parent's prior music teacher.  Also, as you can see from the idea list above, it's not just family you can reach out to.  Even if you can only send 1 or 2 letters, every bit helps.  We get a range of donations from $25-$500, averaging out to about $250 per family that participates.
If you choose not to participate, please do not just toss the packet.  Anything you do not use, please return back to Mr. S, as we can reuse the envelopes for next year.  Then please consider how else you can help the band, such as volunteering for Coconut Grove, setting up a restaurant fundraiser in town, buying a football square (still happening!) or even perhaps an additional Direct Donation.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if you have any questions.
Cynthia