[Dhsbb-jazz] DHS Jazz Band performing at Delta Jazz Festival December 1

Peter Matlock matlockpeter at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 00:18:46 PST 2007

Dear Jazz Band Parents,

  The DHS Jazz Band will be performing at the Delta Jazz Festival on Saturday, December 1.  The Band performs at 3:30 for 25 minutes.  School group performances wrap up at 5:00 PM, the awards ceremony begins at 5:00 and there is an evening concert by The Yellowjackets at 8:00 PM.

  The Festival encourages all students to attend a noon concert by the Delta Jazz Ensemble, clinics at 1:00 and 2:30 PM by members of The Yellowjackets (North and South Forum), and performances by other school groups (beginning at 8:00 AM).

  All students will receive a wrist band for entry to school group performances, the noon concert and the clinics.  Parents and chaperones will need to buy a $10 admission pass at the box office.

  Day passes do NOT provide admission to the 8:00 PM concert by The Yellowjackets.  Tickets for this evening performance are $25 or $35:

  http://www.deltacollege.edu/div/finearts/jazzfest/index.html

  San Joaquin Delta College is in the north part of Stockton--count on just over one hour for the drive.  Directions: South on I-5, exit at March Lane, drive east on March Lane, turn left on Pacific Avenue and drive north to the entrance at Yokuts Ave.  See this link:

  http://www.deltacollege.edu/info/general/map/directions.html

  I assume we want to be there for the noon concert, which means arriving no later than 11:30 AM.  This means convening in the Band Room at 10:00 AM and leaving the DHS parking lot at 10:15 AM.

  Please let me know if you need a carpool for your student, or if you are available to drive other students.

  Those students taking the SAT that morning will of course arrive later.  Please let me know if this will be the case so I can arrange for your student to receive their wrist band.

  DHS Jazz Band Schedule:

  Our warm-up period is 3:05 PM in Holt 113--Band Room.

  Our performance is at 3:30 PM in the Atherton Auditorium.  We have 25 minutes to set up, perform and exit.

  Our clinic is immediately after our performance in Holt 213--Choir Room.  Awards are presented at 5:00 PM.  I am checking with Mr. Lange to see if there are call-back performances (there do not appear to be any).

  Additional Information:

  Attached to this email please find a Word document with excerpts from the package provided by Delta College to Mr. Lange.  It includes information on equipment, schedule, maps, parking, etc.  Please note the following:

  Percussionists: must bring cymbals, complete hi-hat and bass drum pedal
  Bassists and guitarists: bring your own 1/4" patch cords
  Delta College is in session--we are requested not to disturb classes
  No food or drink allowed in the theater or classrooms
  Students must not congregate outside the warm-up or performance areas.

  Is anyone interested in organizing dinner at a pizza place after the Festival (this was a great event last year, and a nice way to wrap up the day)?

  Note that we will NOT be attending the Sacramento State Jazz Festival this year (December 8).

  Miscellaneous:

  Some diversions in the Stockton area if you have extra time (feel free to add):

  1.  Giusti's in Walnut Grove (north and west of Stockton) is a classic delta restaurant, and possibly the only place in Northern California that has worse water than Davis:  http://www.giustis.com/

  2.  You can revive yourself with caffeine on the way to Delta College at the place with the most wince-inducing name yet passable coffee south of Sacramento and north of LA at Toot Sweets:  left on Quail Lakes Drive shortly after turning east on March Lane.

  3.  The Haggin Museum for that rare blend of Ag History, Pioneer History and an Egyptian mummy and mummified cat (??).  Plus, some say the place is haunted:  http://www.hagginmuseum.org/

  Be sure to let me know if carpooling is needed, or if you can drive.  More information is coming regarding permission slips, etc.

  Best regards,
  Peter Matlock