[Dhsbb-jazz] FWD: huge fundraising opportunity

DHS Band Boosters - Jazz Band dhsbb-jazz at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue May 2 21:34:09 PDT 2006

I am sending this note to all the booster groups at DHS.
The DHS PTA has been offered a huge
fundraising opportunity during the Jr. Olympics event that
is coming to Davis in late June-early July.  I am sending
this to see what interested there might be to carry this
off...

The Amateur Athletics Union, UCD, the City of Davis, and
Davis Joint Unified are partnering to bring the Junior
Olympics to Davis.  The sports venues are on UCD campus, in
City parks and on the High School and Jr. High campuses in
the district.  While the event is being managed by UCD and
the AAU; they are allowing both the City and the School
District to manage and control the concessions at our own
venues.  DJUSD Business Servies contacted me to see if we
would arrange for workers who would earn a piece of the
profits from the sale of food and beverages for their group.
AAU and UCD expect approximately 2500 athletes and 5000
spectators to be around town during the period of June
28-July 3, which means a great opportunity for the high
school groups to raise funds from the 8 concession areas (or
even the 5 that will be at DHS).   The estimated gross for
the 8 concessions is $40,000-50,000, the net would be less,
of course.  The food and beverages, etc. would be provided
by our Student Nutrition Services; we "just" need to provide
the man power for the 7 concession stands that will be on
DJUSD secondary school sites.

Business services and UCD want to know ASAP if we think we
can provide the manpower.  I told Solveig we don't have a
PTA meeting until tomorrow nor does the PTA have this kind
of manpower, but this is an opportunity for the clubs and
sports teams on campus to raise significant money.  This is
not something the PTA can do alone although we might be able
to provide the oversight needed.

- laurie rollins
PTA president, DHS
brollins at davis.com