[Davis Democrats] Statement by Lt. Governor John Garamendi on Governor's 2008-09 Budget Proposal

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Jan 10 21:43:42 PST 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: John Garamendi <info at garamendi2006.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:24:51 -0800 (PST)
To: "JAC07 at dcn.org" <JAC07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Statement by Lt. Governor John Garamendi on Governor's 2008-09
Budget Proposal

If you are having trouble viewing this E-newsletter, click here
<http://www.garamendi2006.com/mail/util.cfm?gpiv=1999918531.160394.105&gen=1
> .

<http://www.garamendi2006.com/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=199991
8531.160394.105&gen=1&mailing_linkid=22860>

      January 10, 2008

        For Immediate Release
Contact: (916) 863-6881  STATEMENT BY LT. GOVERNOR JOHN GARAMENDI ON
GOVERNOR'S 2008 - 09 BUDGET PROPOSAL

SACRAMENTO ­ Lt. Governor John Garamendi had the following comments today on
the proposed budget:

³The budget proposed today fails a very simple test: it does not meet the
needs of California.

³Thirty years ago, I began my career in public service hopeful that our
state could do more to improve the lot of California¹s families. Sadly, the
budget debate today is about how our people can get by with less ­ less
education, less healthcare, and fewer opportunities for the future.

³California is at a crossroads.  We know we can no longer paper over the
fiscal challenges that confront state and local governments, but neither can
we abandon our moral responsibility to protect the most vulnerable, or
compromise the historic promise of our Golden State.

³There is no question that our state¹s chronic structural imbalance calls us
to carefully examine our budgeting priorities, remembering that the success
of the Golden State over the past half century was based on a robust,
entrepreneurial private sector matched by state investments that propelled
us into the 21st century.

³We built the foundation for innovation and achievement with the world¹s
best education systems that trained our workforce and researchers, a highway
system unparalleled in its effectiveness at moving goods to market and
people to work, and a water system that gave life to the California economy
as we know it today.

³This budget will undoubtedly test our resolve ­ but when tested, California
has always emerged stronger. Remember, in the middle of the Great
Depression, California overcame political and financial obstacles to build
the Golden Gate Bridge ­ the enduring symbol of California¹s spectacular
record of innovation and achievement.

³Over the next six months, we face a critical decision -- whether to
continue to invest in our future or abandon the historical commitment that
made the Golden State.

³With a powerful and diverse economy, a capable and motivated workforce, and
extraordinary entrepreneurs, educators, and research facilities, we stand on
a strong foundation.  I know that working together we can once again meet
these challenges and emerge stronger in the years ahead.²

# # #

 Not paid for at state expense
 Paid for by Garamendi 2010 (Lt. Governor), ID# 1292888
(I.D. #: 1266998)
 Contact Information

 Garamendi 2010 (Lt. Governor), ID# 1292888
 P.O. Box 496 • Sacramento, CA 95812 •  Phone: (916) 863-6881• Fax: (916)
558-6964
  Website: www.garamendi.org
<http://www.garamendi2006.com/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=199991
8531.160394.105&gen=1&mailing_linkid=22858>

  Update My Profile
<http://www.garamendi2006.com/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=profile&gpiv=19999185
31.160394.105&gen=1>  - Unsubscribe
<http://www.garamendi2006.com/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=unsubscribe&gpiv=1999
918531.160394.105&gen=1>  - Privacy Policy
<http://www.garamendi2006.com/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=199991
8531.160394.105&gen=1&mailing_linkid=22859>

------ End of Forwarded Message