[Davis Democrats] FW: bring accountability to private contractors in "war on terror"

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Apr 5 08:14:00 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: JoAnn <joannpen at comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 07:25:15 -0700
To: 4FrkWGrp <joannpen at comcast.net>, John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>, Bill
Stankus <wstankus at earthlink.net>
Conversation: Contractors used as mercenaries?
Subject: Contractors used as mercenaries?

From: Amnesty International USA <alerts at takeaction.amnestyusa.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007

Bring accountability to the "war on terror"!

"It enrages me when contractors hired by the U.S. government and military
reportedly torture detainees and shoot at civilians in Iraq and nothing is
done to investigate and hold the responsible people and companies
accountable."

Dear Fellow Amnesty Member,

My name is Frank Kendall; I am a former senior Pentagon official and Vice
President of a major defense contractor. Now I volunteer with Amnesty
International.

In its so-called ³war on terror,² the United States has hired private
companies to do much of its work ­ including interrogating detainees. But
not nearly enough to hold contractors and their employees accountable for
abuses they allegedly commit.  It enrages me when contractors hired by the
U.S. government and military reportedly torture detainees and shoot at
civilians in Iraq, but nothing is done to investigate and hold the
responsible people and companies accountable.

Right now, we have a window of opportunity to make a real change: Rep. David
Price introduced a bill to bring Transparency and Accountability to U.S.
Security Contracting. It needs our support to pass.

Click here <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7253424415002586243812565>
 to learn more and take action ­ write your representatives in Congress and
tell them to cosponsor Rep. Price¹s bill today.

Sincerely yours,

Frank Kendall
Former Assistant Deputy Undersecretary of Defense
Former Vice President of Engineering, Raytheon Co.
Amnesty International USA Executive Directors Leadership Council

Do not reply to this message. If you have a question or comment, please use
our interactive online help system
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/actioncenter/help.html> .
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/rss/index.html>  Subscribe to our RSS feeds
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/rss/index.html> .