[1st-mile-nm] Treasury Simplifies and Improves Rules for Rescue Plan Aid for Broadband Networks

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Thu Jan 13 12:51:25 PST 2022

Worthwhile to review the entire posting with links via the URL.
Thanks Christopher.

--------

Treasury Simplifies and Improves Rules for Rescue Plan Aid for Broadband
Networks

Thu, January 13, 2022 | Posted by Christopher Mitchell

https://muninetworks.org/content/treasury-simplifies-improves-rules-rescue-plan-aid-broadband-networks

Communities across the United States got an unexpected gift from the
Biden Administration last week in the form of additional flexibility to
use Rescue Plan funds for needed broadband investments, particularly
those focused on low-income neighborhoods in urban areas.

When Congress developed and passed the American Rescue Plan Act, it
tasked the Treasury Department with writing the rules for some key
programs, including the State & Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF).
That program is distributing $350 billion to local and state
governments, which can use it for a variety of purposes that include
broadband infrastructure and digital inclusion efforts.

Treasury released an Interim Final Rule in May, 2021, detailing how
local governments would be allowed to invest in broadband. I promptly
freaked out, at the restrictions and complications that I (and others)
feared would result in local governments backing away from needed
broadband investments due to fears of being out of compliance with the
rule.

After we worked with numerous local leaders and the National League of
Cities to explain the problems we saw in the proposed rule, Treasury
released updated guidance in the form of a Q&A document to explain how
local governments would be able to build and partner for needed
networks.

(snip)