[1st-mile-nm] [EXTERNAL] Re: US Feds to increase costs for access to Federal Land for broadband

Michael Harris mharris at visgence.com
Thu Dec 30 15:44:08 PST 2021

Thanks for the info. To follow up on a specific point:

  - ROW: Part of the statuate requirements is to address ROW Permitting.
> NMBBP/DoIT was on the verge of implementing something years ago, yet no
> funding to sustain it. What worked as a bandaid during the ARRA days DoIT
> facilitated a project meet up. The ISPs and those impacted landowners were
> brought into the same room. A project overview was provided, questions
> aired, challenges discussed, and a commitment that the applications will
> not sit on a desk - move in a certain time period. We had also built an
> online contact applications that anyone can draw a route and a listing of
> contacts will be provided for download. We are talking about reviving that
> applications. Take a look, yet now only NM DOT and County contacts are
> informed and both extremely dated. The route function is not working.

Progress in this area seems to me like the best bang/buck. I worked on a
fiber project in Las Cruces several years ago that was 1000' long and had 3
separate contacts. It eventually died because applications were just
sitting on desks for months, kicked back, re-submitted, and then sitting
for months again. A statute or regulation saying "an application must
receive a response in X days or it's automatically approved" might get
people moving....

- ISP: NMBBP pushed out a request to ISPs within New Mexico for their
> coverage by technology type. We have over 150 ISPs within NM, yet received
> only a fraction of those. However, got most of the big companies. Since
> we'll be putting together a "Broadband Grant Program" those data will be
> extremely important to plan the expenditure of resources. Those who did not
> provide us data, we'll download the FCC Form477 data. Hence, we may look at
> those data as secondary for planning.

Is there a way to find out (a) if an ISP provided info and (b) provide that
info if it wasn't? I certainly missed the memo and have some info to add,
maybe some others on the list do, as well.

-Michael

--
Michael Harris