[1st-mile-nm] Comcast brings 1.2 Gbps fiber internet to Gallup, NM

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Thu Nov 4 10:03:14 PDT 2021

Comcast brings 1.2 Gbps fiber internet to Gallup, NM

Oct. 28, 2021

https://www.broadbandtechreport.com/fiber/article/14213037/comcast-brings-12gbps-fiber-internet-to-gallup-nm

Currently, more than 9,000 homes and businesses have access to Comcast’s
network in Gallup, New Mexico.

In New Mexico, Comcast this month announced the company has introduced
additional Internet speed tiers for homes and small businesses in the
Gallup area, with internet speeds up to 1.2 Gbps now available to new
and existing customers.

Currently, more than 9,000 homes and businesses have access to Comcast’s
network in Gallup. Consumers have access to all of the company's Xfinity
Internet packages including 50 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 300 Mbps, 600 Mbps, 900
Mbps, and 1.2 Gig speed tiers. From supporting four connected devices at
a time, to speeds designed for heavy streamers, Gallup residents have a
variety of Comcast options to keep them connected.

Bill Lee, CEO, Gallup-McKinley County Chamber of Commerce, commented,
“Fast and reliable broadband is a key component of a vibrant economy. As
Gallup businesses continue to recover from the impacts of the pandemic,
it is good to see Comcast’s investment in our community to help ensure
that new and existing businesses will have the bandwidth needed to
succeed in the digital economy. With Internet speeds ranging from 50
Mbps to 1.2 Gigabits, Gallup can continue to recruit more industry
sectors into our community, and help existing businesses grow.”

Additionally, Comcast announced it will continue to offer its low-cost,
high-speed Internet program, Internet Essentials, to help provide more
low-income households in Gallup with the tools and resources they need
to succeed in an increasingly digital world. The program provides 50
Mbps at-home internet access to low-income households for $9.95 per
month. Households that qualify for programs like the National School
Lunch Program, housing assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, and others may
qualify for Internet Essentials.

Since the program launched in 2011, Comcast says it has connected
296,000 low-income New Mexicans to the power of the Internet at home,
including 2,800 individuals in Gallup.

Sarah Piano, Managing Regional Director for Big Brothers Big Sisters
Mountain Region, asserted, “When Comcast operates in your community, you
can count on them to provide support to local nonprofits and community
organizations. Comcast is a long-standing partner and an amazing
supporter of our critical mentoring work in Gallup and across New
Mexico. Their Internet Essentials program is extremely affordable and
helped us connect dozens of our families to an at-home Internet
connection, which was critical this past year more than ever. Comcast
genuinely cares about the communities they work in and continually
strives to make things better for the families within those communities.
We are so grateful for their partnership.”