[1st-mile-nm] US Broadband Map (Microsoft Data)

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Mon May 10 09:23:06 PDT 2021

THIS IS A MAP OF AMERICA’S BROADBAND PROBLEM
A county-by-county look at the broadband gap

By Russell Brandom and William Joel, The Verge,  May 10, 2021

https://www.theverge.com/22418074/broadband-gap-america-map-county-microsoft-data

(snip)

This map shows where the broadband problem is worst — the areas where
the difficulty of reliably connecting to the internet has gotten bad
enough to become a drag on everyday life. Specifically, the colored-in
areas show US counties where less than 15 percent of households are
using the internet at broadband speed, defined as 25Mbps download speed.

Instead of the FCC’s data, we drew on an anonymized dataset collected by
Microsoft through its cloud services network, published in increments by
the company over the past 18 months. If the FCC monitors the connections
that providers say they’re offering, this measures what they’re actually
getting. You can roll over specific counties to see the exact percentage
of households connected at broadband speed, and the data is publicly
available on GitHub if you want to check our work or drill down further.

(snip)

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504,