[1st-mile-nm] Gov. Lujan Grisham signs measures advancing broadband connection and development

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Fri Apr 9 09:49:59 PDT 2021

Gov. Lujan Grisham signs measures advancing broadband connection and
development

Apr 7, 2021 | Press Releases
https://www.governor.state.nm.us/2021/04/07/gov-lujan-grisham-signs-measures-advancing-broadband-connection-and-development/

SANTA FE – Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham on Wednesday signed a pair of
measures moving the state one step closer to providing New Mexico with
the broadband capacity to connect all New Mexicans to reliable,
high-speed internet.

Senate Bill 93 establishes an Office of Broadband Access and Expansion
to centralize and coordinate broadband activities across state
government agencies, local governmental bodies, tribal governmental
organizations and internet service providers. The Office of Broadband
will be responsible for developing a three-year broadband strategic and
operational plan providing guiding principles and operational criteria
for significant broadband deployment and expansion for New Mexico.

House Bill 10 establishes the Connect New Mexico Fund and the Connect
New Mexico Council, which will provide state grant funding for broadband
infrastructure statewide and conduct and enact oversight and
accountability requirements; the legislation also significantly
increases the annual distribution for broadband infrastructure from the
State Rural Universal Service Fund.

The broadband office will conduct statewide meetings for the purpose of
gathering recommendations and feedback on how to best move forward with
existing stakeholder plans for broadband expansion for all New Mexicans.

The Connect New Mexico Council will consist of 15 members who will
oversee $130 million in broadband grant and infrastructure
appropriations made in the 2021 session.

Sponsors of the two measures included Sen. Michael Padilla, Sen. Liz
Stefanics, Rep. Natalie Figueroa, Rep. Joy Garratt, Rep. Susan Herrera,
Rep. Candie Sweetser and Rep. Christine Chandler.

“The pandemic has underscored the urgent need for reliable internet
access for every single student and family and business,” said Gov.
Lujan Grisham. “We must and we will provide every New Mexican with
quality and affordable broadband service, and these measures advance the
subject.”

“Today marks a giant step forward for New Mexico,” said Sen. Michael
Padilla. “The Office of Broadband Access and Expansion will help
centralize and coordinate our efforts to build out a broadband
infrastructure that will bring economic development, distance learning
and telehealth delivery across the state, including some of the hardest
to reach areas. And, this office could help generate close to a billion
dollars in federal funding for New Mexico – critical dollars that will
go toward ensuring comprehensive coverage and the best use of the latest
technologies. Thank you Governor Lujan Grisham for signing this
important legislation.”

“A centralized and focused effort to deliver broadband across New Mexico
will be an economic driver for business owners, remote workers, and
companies looking to relocate to New Mexico and invest in new
technologies, “ said Economic Development Secretary Alicia J. Keyes.

“The digital divide is nothing new, but the pandemic made it clear that
closing it must be a priority for New Mexico if we’re going to honor our
commitment to provide every child with a full and equitable education,”
said Public Education Secretary Ryan Stewart. “Through public-private
partnerships, we narrowed the divide considerably this year by getting
many school children the access they needed to digital devices and
high-speed internet. With this legislation, we’re on the path to close
that divide once and for all.”

“The pandemic exposed the tremendous need for communications
infrastructure in our rural and tribal communities,” said Indian Affairs
Secretary Lynn Trujillo. “Broadband access will help our students
succeed, local businesses thrive, and will ensure vital information
reaches every citizen in our state.”

“I look forward to working closely with the council members in
formulating a broadband framework plan that encompasses strategic
planning, program oversight, and grant award methodologies,” said
Information and Technology Secretary John Salazar. “Many members of the
legislature on both sides of the aisle worked diligently over the past
year to understand the challenges we face in bringing broadband to New
Mexico and ensure passage of this much-needed legislation. We look
forward to working with them and stakeholders from a wide range of
communities in the months ahead to ensure every New Mexican can get the
reliable and affordable internet access they need and deserve.”

The governor on Wednesday also signed Senate Bill 204, sponsored by Sen.
Michael Padilla, to provide access to the State Rural Universal Services
Fund to Sacred Wind Communications, which delivers broadband access to
the Navajo Nation and surrounding areas.