[1st-mile-nm] Intro and pole attachment question

Ovidiu Viorica oviorica at nmpsfa.org
Tue Dec 15 14:04:27 PST 2020

Hi Brian,

Our team (Public School Facilities Authority in collaboration with other state agencies – PED, DOT, DoIT) has been working with schools (K12) for a number of years on broadband infrastructure upgrades statewide. This work is primarily for schools and libraries, leveraging federal (E-rate) funding, although we try to find additional partnerships for our projects.

Pole attachments have been and continue to be an obstacle.

To summarize, here are some of the challenges:

1.       Pole owners often don’t have the resources to respond to requests for pole attachments in a timely manner (permits, engineering, pole replacements, make ready etc…).

2.       There is no consistency in the process/approach from pole owners.

3.       There is lack of transparency for the process and for the fees that can be applied by pole owners.

4.       It is very difficult to get existing installations (other operators’ facilities already attached) into compliance – before new permits are issued.

5.       Etc…

These hard to predict high costs or extensive delays (or both) often stop or cancel already funded projects. That is highly unfortunate, knowing how badly needed this work is (and the funding is really hard to get…).

We can have a separate conversation about the topic.

Thanks for your work on this.

Best Regards,
Ovidiu

Ovidiu Viorica
Broadband & Technology Program Manager
New Mexico Public School Facilities Authority
Cell:  505-270-1355
Email:  oviorica at nmpsfa.org<mailto:oviorica at nmpsfa.org>
Web:   www.nmpsfa.org<http://www.nmpsfa.org/>