[1st-mile-nm] FCC RDOF Awardees in NM

Mimbres Communications mimcom at sw-ei.com
Thu Dec 10 07:53:46 PST 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 7:51 AM Christopher Mitchell <christopher at ilsr.org>
wrote:

> Is it possible to document that fiber-fed cabinets are unconnected?

Near as we can tell, CenturyLink fed new cabinets with fiber but left the
ADSLv2 cards in them, or cross-fed the old cabinets (two feet away).  If
they had installed VDSL cards in those cabinets they would not be
hemorrhaging customers the way they are.

We turned up a customer yesterday who is less than 5 kft (I traced out the
path pole by pole) from one of those cabinets.  Their '7 megabit' service
(for several months now) would not reliably stream at 2-3 mbits.  Speed
tests were reporting ~1.2 mbits during peak hours.

A couple of miles up the road, in a small community with far higher housing
density than the aforementioned area, we routinely disconnect bonded DSL
services that will barely hold 1.5 mbits/sec (and typically cost at least
$80 per month).

> From what we have heard, the small WISPs that got in are somewhat
> frustrated at being outbid by bigger more national WISPs that some have
> accused of dramatically overstating what they can deliver.

The economics of fixed wireless can be quite attractive.  Pair that with
investor money and a marketing budget and you create opportunities for
large-scale fraud.