[1st-mile-nm] CenturyLink renames itself Lumen Technologies

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Mon Sep 14 14:15:43 PDT 2020

CenturyLink renames itself Lumen Technologies

The new name signals a refocusing of efforts on supplying a combination
of platforms and other resources that can support the applications
expected as business move into the Industry 4.0 era.

Stephen Hardy, Sep 14th, 2020
https://www.lightwaveonline.com/business/companies/article/14183310/centurylink-renames-itself-lumen-technologies

CenturyLink today unveiled a rebranding that will see most of the
company’s activities, particularly outside of consumer and small
business broadband, operate as Lumen Technologies -- Lumen, for short.
The new name signals a refocusing of efforts on supplying a combination
of platforms and other resources that can support the applications
expected as business move into the Industry 4.0 era.

“Our new identity demonstrates a new vision for enterprises in the
digital era and demonstrates how far we have come from our beginnings,”
the company said via an FAQ explaining the move. Lumen, so named as a
nod to the fiber network that will provide the foundation for its
operations, will emphasize four capabilities through which the company
asserts it has a competitive edge:
•	Adaptive networking for hybrid network requirements
•	Edge cloud and IT agility through which it can deliver low-latency,
high-performance data access, moving data and workloads closer to where
customers need them
•	Connected security
•	Communications and collaboration services.

"Our people are dedicated to furthering human progress through
technology. Lumen is all about enabling the amazing potential of our
customers, by utilizing our technology platform, our people, and our
relationships with customers and partners," said Lumen President and CEO
Jeff Storey.

"All of our futures will be driven by smart things, applications and
digital services that use data for transformational purposes. To serve
this colossal need and further human progress through technology, we
have launched Lumen and are delivering our technology through the Lumen
Platform, a platform for amazing things," added Executive Vice President
and Chief Marketing Officer Shaun Andrews.

Lumen says it will continue to serve residential and some small business
broadband customers under the CenturyLink brand. Concurrent with the
corporate name change, the company also rebranded CenturyLink Fiber to
Quantum Fiber. The FAQ describes Quantum Fiber as “a subscription-based,
prepaid, online platform for delivering premier fiber-based connectivity
to residents and small businesses.” Fiber-based internet currently is
the only service available under the new brand.

Despite the name change, financial strategy and reporting will remain
unaffected, Lumen asserts – although the ticker symbol will change from
CTL to LUMN on September 18, 2020.