[1st-mile-nm] Should Denver city government enter the internet business to compete with Comcast

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:18:03 PDT 2020

The magazine's policy has always been to encourage anyone who can build, to
build. Since we started in 2004, we have been astonished at the time and
money many corporate carriers have put into barring or trying to bar public
entities from building where the corporate carriers themselves have zero
intention of providing service, or where they wish to protect the marketing
to a few high-paying customers they can squeeze.

This is emphatically not directly the carriers' fault. It is Wall Street's
fault. The big carriers compete for money there, and money goes to the
highest bidders, as frankly it should. But I can (and have) cited dozens of
examples of misinformation spread by elite Wall Street investment firms on
broadband. One guy recently told me and a bunch of Columbia University
conferees that 5G would not penetrate modern construction -- a problem that
the industry long ago solved at a reasonable price.

The "whiteness" of Wall Street and rich investors doesn't help. Until about
7 years ago for example, Verizon was somewhat slow in providing Fios to
Harlem (where I live when in NYC). But when Bloomberg nudged them and they
killed off the last of their copper trunk anyway, they discovered that
Black and Hispanic households are often large, filled with kids, willing to
spend money on broadband... and were also reliable payers. The neighborhood
was filled with Verizon service trucks for years as they caught up.

This isn't charity. It is good business. And if, because of the growing
importance of broadband, cities eventually fund them like they fund
streets, so what?

Steve Ross
Editor-at-Large, Broadband Communities Magazine (www.bbcmag.com)
201-456-5933 mobile