[1st-mile-nm] T-Mobile

Drew Einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 15:19:41 PST 2019

I saw some news article about T-Mobile enabling new frequency bands
nationally to support their 5G rollout next week. They grumbled about how
it would only support a few high dollar phones that nobody has.

But, it looks like it's having a significant effect on service for older
LTE phones. I live in a rural area with poor service at best and mostly no
service. I was at home listening to an audio stream via wifi -> cellphone
-> bluetooth headset. I got in the car and drove to Albuquerque and the
stream did not drop when I got out of wifi range. It appeared to
successfully hand off to an LTE connection, ... without dropping the audio.
There may have been signal loss covered by buffering on the phone.

Y'all remember when LTE originated as a term to describe 3G pretending to
be 4G? I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the marketing folks butchering
the language.

--
Drew Einhorn

On American Politics

“If this were my country,” Odile said, wrinkling her nose, “I would not be
angry.”

“No?” Hollis asked.

“I would drink all the time. Take pill. Anything.”
         --- William Gibson, Spook Country, 2007.