[1st-mile-nm] Benton Inst.: Libraries and Schools Join Hands to Connect New Mexico Pueblos

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Mon Oct 14 08:49:28 PDT 2019

A forthcoming case study by the ALA examines how tribal libraries and
schools in north-central New Mexico came together to address their own
broadband connectivity challenges. As Kimball Sekaquaptewa, now chief
technology director at Santa Fe Indian School, said, “If the incumbent
providers weren’t willing to build out in our area, we were willing to
own and operate our own internet infrastructure.”

Forming two separate consortia, tribal libraries and schools in six
pueblos were able to aggregate their demand for broadband and build two
60-mile fiber-optic networks. Applying together through consortia
applications and pursuing a regional approach yielded greater results
than operating alone. Over 90 percent of the $4.2 million project was
funded directly by the largest  E-Rate award in the state of New Mexico
in 2016 and the first tribal project of its kind since the FCC’s E-Rate
modernization order in 2014.

(snip)

https://www.benton.org/blog/libraries-and-schools-join-hands-connect-new-mexico-pueblos

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director