[1st-mile-nm] Is Faster not always better ?

Michael Harris mharris at visgence.com
Wed Aug 28 12:43:19 PDT 2019

I don't have a WSJ subscription, so I can't RTFA, but I thought I would
chime in a couple of points:

- I've got ~30Mbps at home (WISP)
- My household streams almost *constantly* youtube, netflix and twitch
(inbound), and bandwidth seems fine
- Online gaming (non-streaming) is also fine
- Twitch streamers are upload-heavy, not necessarily download
- Cable Co. internet is heavily biased towards "download", rather than
upload. We have  60(d)/10(u) at the office from Comcast. Download is fine
for an office of 7. Upload is on the edge for the cloud-heavy work we do.
In order to get better upload, we would also have to double our download
(and pay for it). IIRC, the asymetric connection is a technical feature of
DOCIS, so maybe it's not something they cable co. can actually address...

-Michael

--
Michael Harris