[1st-mile-nm] Is Faster not always better ?

Doug Orr doug.orr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 11:58:19 PDT 2019

Hey Doug,

(a) Did broadband companies raise endpoint bandwidth and upgrade all their
other junk with the expectation that there would be significant uptick in
usage...or did they raise endpoint speeds, meaning they can charge higher
prices, and implement minimal core improvements to back it up with.

I have, for example (anecdote alert!), a house in a podunk Michigan town
(3000 population). The only provider is Charter. They used to have several
packages, all of which could stream Netflix. They switched to where the
minimum package is 40mbps for $80/mo. Way more bandwidth than I need and
way more than I'd prefer to pay. Does that sound more like forcing everyone
into a higher grade of service because they are totally going to be better
competitors and provide better service, or updating cheap endpoint gear in
order to justify price increases which offset losses from cord cutting? (Here's
an articl
<https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/01/charter-will-spend-less-on-cable-network-in-2019-but-charge-customers-more/>e
reporting Charter is spending less on its cable network in 2019 and
charging its customers more. Here's an article
<https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/01/sorry-ajit-comcast-lowered-cable-investment-despite-net-neutrality-repeal/>
saying, roughly, the same thing about Comcast [Comcast says they're
spending more on infrastructure, but, who'd know if that's right?])

(b) I agree that school aged children and young people are bigger bandwidth
users (as, I wouldn't be surprised, are children of Internet professionals
:) And the question absolutely is, as you say, who are the isps making the
network for? But, again, the question, fully, is, who are they building the
whole thing out for -- caching, peering, aggregate bandwidth... Because
it's the end-to-end performance that matters to the intensive consumers,
not the "speed test" number, and raising end to end performance is way more
expensive than giving people a faster endpoint. (Cable companies seem to be
reporting getting done with their upgrade to docsys 3.1, which all fits.
And, maybe not coincidentally, one of the big features in 3.1 is "active
queue management.") Throttling and traffic shaping can give you a whole lot
cheaper implementation than upgrading line cards.

Better numbers sound sexier. It's a marketing benefit to have higher
numbers, and it makes the bar higher for potential competitors.

I'll stick with my baseless assertion that our isps are advertising and
pricing for gamers and building and provisioning for 50 year-olds watching
Netflix :)

  Doug