[1st-mile-nm] FCC Rural BB Funding in 23 states: not NM and Re: FCC E-Rate News

Dale Carstensen dlc at lampinc.com
Thu Jul 18 17:00:52 PDT 2019

I see so much irony in the amounts of money involved in these two
announcements.

$524 million for 10 years to assist rural broadband is for the Rural BB
Funding.

Nearly twice that ($985 million) to potentially nearly 10 times that
($5.15 billion) for 1 year is for the FCC E-Rate News funding.  The
ratio is somewhere between 18.7 and 98 times the money per unit of time.

The term "chump change" comes to mind, but then experience reminds me
even that will be mostly wasted, and what would really help isn't
money so much as it is policy to make right-of-way (lots of that
would be pole attachments) available, etc.

I found an FCC web page that explains what category one and two mean.
Both are only for eligible schools and libraries.  And not necessarily
just rural ones are eligible.  Category one is to subsidize expenses
for getting and keeping a connection to the internet.  Category two is
to subsidize network infrastructure internal to the school or library
system.