[1st-mile-nm] Udall: School Bus Wifi Bill

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Wed Mar 13 08:39:38 PDT 2019

Udall, Luján, Haaland Introduce Bipartisan Bill to Put Wi-Fi on School
Buses and Help Close the Digital Divide

Bipartisan bill aims to close "homework gap" that disadvantages
low-income and rural students without internet access at home

Legislation would make Wi-Fi on school buses eligible for E-Rate
reimbursement

https://www.tomudall.senate.gov/news/press-releases/udall-lujn-haaland-introduce-bipartisan-bill-to-put-wi-fi-on-school-buses-and-help-close-the-digital-divide

WASHINGTON – Today, U.S. Senator Tom Udall and U.S. Representatives Ben
Ray Luján and Deb Haaland introduced a bill to make it easier to put
wireless internet on school buses in order to help students without
broadband access at home get online to study, learn, and complete
homework. The legislation would require the Federal Communications
Commission’s (FCC) E-Rate Program to reimburse school districts that
place Wi-Fi technology on school buses carrying students to school or
school-related extracurricular activities. The bipartisan bill was
cosponsored by U.S. Senators Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), Catherine Cortez
Masto (D-Nev.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) in the Senate.

Millions of students need access to the internet to complete their
assignments, but studies estimate that one-in-five students lack that
access in their homes. This gap especially impacts low-income, rural,
and Tribal students who must find other ways to get online to complete
their homework – often working out of school parking lots late into the
night or walking miles to find a reliable signal.

“When we increase access to high-speed internet, we increase access to
opportunities. Every kid in New Mexico and across the country should
have every opportunity to succeed – no matter where they live or how
much their family makes. But nearly one-third of New Mexico kids are at
risk of falling behind in school simply because they can’t get on the
internet at home,” said Udall. “It’s time to end the homework gap and
set our kids up for success. By extending internet access to students
while they commute to and from school, this bill would turn travel time
into study time, enabling kids to complete their homework before they
get home. As a member of the Senate Commerce Committee, I’ll continue to
push for innovative, 21st century solutions to help bridge the digital
divide that hurts too many rural, Tribal, and low-income communities
across New Mexico through strong federal investment in broadband and
internet infrastructure.”

“Our students should be given every opportunity to succeed in their
schoolwork. Today, that means having access to a reliable Internet
connection to complete homework, study, and explore academic pursuits.
When one-fifth of our students can’t log on to further their studies,
we’re creating a digital divide that will have impacts long after
graduation,” said Luján. “I’ve heard from students and teachers about
the burdens they face each day and I’m proud to lead on this effort that
will help connect communities in New Mexico and across the country, so
students face fewer hurdles on their road to success.”

“Kids deserve the tools they need to succeed, but one of the biggest
hurdles students in New Mexico face is the digital divide. Nowadays,
access to the internet is imperative for school work and also prepares
students for the technological world we live in. By ensuring school
buses have wi-fi, we’re adding another access point to resources that
help students succeed,” said Haaland.

“I whole-heartedly support Senator Udall's efforts to close the digital
divide, and especially the homework gap, for students who lack internet
access at home,” added Dr. Veronica C. Garcia, superintendent of Santa
Fe Public Schools. “His vision turns idle seat time on the school bus
into an opportunity for extended learning.  As Superintendent of a
school district that benefits from rolling school buses, it is exciting
to know that children throughout the country will be able to experience
continued learning during their often long commutes home. I applaud Sen.
Udall for bringing this legislation forward.”

The bill was inspired by an idea put forth by Jonah Madrid, a
student-athlete from Hatch, New Mexico. In 2016, during a roundtable on
the homework gap at Hatch Valley High School, Madrid told Udall and FCC
Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel about the great lengths he would go to
find Wi-Fi signal after school was over. Madrid said that after
traveling hours on the bus to football games, he would sit in the dark
school parking lot late at night to do his homework because that was the
only place he could access wireless internet. Madrid proposed putting
wireless technology on his school bus in order to let him and his
teammates make use of their long bus rides.

“The homework gap is the cruelest part of the digital divide. But with
Wi-Fi on school buses we can turn ride time into connected time to give
students the broadband access they need to do their homework. Kudos to
Reps. Lujan, Welch, and Haaland for their important work to make this
happen,” said FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel.

Since then, the bipartisan legislation has received widespread support
from a range of stakeholders, including the School Superintendents
Association, a professional organization representing thousands of
educational leaders throughout America and the world, the Competitive
Carriers Association, an advocacy organization for rural, regional and
nationwide wireless telecommunications, and the Navajo Tribal Utility
Authority (NTUA) Wireless, a Navajo-owned communications company. Tribal
communities are hit particularly hard by the digital divide, with
approximately 76 percent of Tribal members living in rural New Mexico
unable to access the internet at home.

“When we think about efficiencies in federal policies, and common sense
solutions that allow education system leaders to make small changes with
big impacts: that is the type of policy we can support. AASA applauds
Mr. Gardner and Mr. Udall for their continued leadership on the issue of
expanding access to internet for our students, and AASA is pleased to
support their bill that would require the Federal Communications
Commission to include Wi-Fi access on school buses an eligible use of
the E-Rate program. AASA has long supported the E-Rate program,
responsible for transforming internet access in classrooms across the
nation over the last two decades, and this legislation is another step
forward in ensuring that today’s 24-hour students have 24-hour access,“
said Daniel A. Domenech, Executive Director of the School
Superintendents Association.

“Access to educational resources is just one of the many benefits that
robust mobile broadband can bring to communities across the country.
Allowing students the opportunity to do homework and access the Internet
on school buses is a perfect example, and CCA supports this effort to
ensure no student – whether urban or rural – is left behind in the
digital world,” said Steven K. Berry, President and CEO of the
Competitive Carriers Association.

Clyde Casciato, NTUA Wireless General Manager said, “Those living on the
Navajo nation know firsthand that internet access is too often not
available at home or in their community, making it nearly impossible for
students to complete homework assignments and research projects. In
trials where NTUAW has partnered with Kayenta Unified School District to
provide this service on three different school bus routes, the
technology worked successfully and has been used regularly by students
to complete assignments.  With this service, students are able to take
advantage of what would otherwise be lost hours on the school bus each
day to continue their education.  E-Rate funds are necessary to support
this initiative, or it will never become a reality for most schools as
they cannot afford to take on the expense of this additional service.
Without a doubt, expanding E-Rate funds to include internet access on
school buses will impact the quality of education received by so many
students on the Navajo Nation. On behalf of NTUAW, I want to thank you
for advocating to fund this service, and look forward to the opportunity
to partner with schools to get it deployed on school buses throughout
the Navajo Nation.”

The full text of the legislation is available HERE.
https://www.tomudall.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/S%20738%20School%20Bus%20WiFi.pdf

A summary of the bill is available HERE.
https://www.tomudall.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/School%20Bus%20WiFi%20One%20Pager.pdf

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504,