[1st-mile-nm] Windstream Bankruptcy (and Refinancing)

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Tue Feb 26 09:39:58 PST 2019

Windstream bankruptcy comes after $310 million court loss against hedge
fund.

JON BRODKIN - 2/25/2019
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/windstream-isp-with-1-million-customers-files-for-bankruptcy

Windstream—an Internet service provider in mainly rural areas—today
filed for bankruptcy.

The bankruptcy was spurred by a court ruling from February 15 that could
cost Windstream hundreds of millions of dollars. The company said the
bankruptcy will help prevent negative impacts on customers.

Windstream filed petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the
United States Bankruptcy Code in US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern
District of New York. Windstream considered other options, including
appealing the court ruling, but company management and the board of
directors "determined that filing for voluntary Chapter 11 protection is
a necessary step to address the financial impact of Judge [Jesse]
Furman's decision and the impact it would have on consumers and
businesses across the states in which we operate," Windstream CEO Tony
Thomas said in the bankruptcy announcement.

Windstream's losing court battle was against hedge fund Aurelius Capital
Management, "which had argued a two-year-old spinoff of the company's
fiber-optic cable network violated the covenants on one of its bonds,"
which prohibited "sale-leaseback transactions," The Wall Street Journal
wrote today.

(Snip)

"Windstream did not arrive in Chapter 11 due to operational failures and
currently does not anticipate the need to restructure material
operations,” Thomas also said. "While it is unfortunate that Aurelius
engaged in these tactics to advance its returns at the expense of
Windstream, we look forward to working through the financial
restructuring process to secure a sustainable capital structure so we
can maintain our strong operational performance and continue serving our
customers for many years come." Thomas called for government regulation
of the "unregulated credit default swap marketplace."

The Federal Communications Commission issued a statement on the
bankruptcy today, saying it's "pleased that Windstream has made clear
that its reorganization in bankruptcy will not disrupt service to any
consumers."

Today, Windstream said it has obtained a commitment for $1 billion in
financing from Citigroup Global Markets. "With approval from the Court,
we will continue paying our employees, maintaining our relationships
with our vendors and business partners and serving our customers as
usual," Thomas said. "We remain committed to providing critical voice
and data services and ensuring customers realize the maximum benefit in
transitioning to next-generation technology solutions and premium
broadband services."

(Snip)

Windstream provides residential service in 18 states, namely Alabama,
Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi,
Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio,
Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Texas.

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504,
rl at 1st-mile.org     www.1st-mile.org