[1st-mile-nm] 5g rollout problems (!)

Doug Orr doug.orr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 17:01:27 PST 2019

https://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/5g-waves/4461589/Surprise--More-5G-complications

Interesting bits:

   - Rain fade and foliage interference aren't proving as bad as
   anticipated (what?? I mean that's good, but is the idea that they were
   scared of rain and trees?)
   - Everything's really complex and hard to test. (shocked!)
   - Carriers are worried the technology won't deliver on day one. (more
   shock!)
   - Jamming all the diverse rf crap into handsets isn't working because
   systems combining many antennas work differently than the test systems with
   individual antennas do by themselves (my words, and duh)
   - They are now understanding they'll need way more base stations than
   anticipated.in urban areas (because of the lack of careful design?)
   - mimo antennas turning out to be too heavy for roofs to support. (WHAT?)
   - Costs are rising

*Conclusion: *maybe mesh? how about routing everything through the cloud??*
In other words, "core capabilities aren't working and we need a hail
mary." *

A rule of big projects is to not change big things at the last minute. If I
were the project manager in charge of this I'd kill myself.

  Doug

p.s. I'm sure this is being rolled out so quickly because it's awesome and
a critical national security need, and not so that it can be too entrenched
to kill if the FCC chairmanship changes in 2020.