[1st-mile-nm] McCain Advocates for Broadband Expansion in Arizona

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Wed Apr 27 12:32:22 PDT 2016

I would suggest that the Four-Corner States cooperate more closely
on such opportunities, especially with regard to tribal and rural
matters.
 From the NTIA's perspective, this may be a more significant approach.
RL

------------

McCain Advocates for Broadband Expansion in Arizona

26 April 2016   Rachael Dean
http://www.prescottenews.com/index.php/news/current-news/item/27567-mccain-advocates-for-broadband-expansion-in-arizona

SENATOR JOHN McCAIN URGES NTIA TO EXPAND BROADBAND ACCESS TO NATIVE
AMERICAN RESERVATIONS & RURAL ARIZONA

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) sent a letter to the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) today
urging the agency to work with BroadbandUSA to hold an upcoming regional
workshop in Arizona as a way to help communities expand broadband access
and adoption – particularly across Native American reservations and
rural parts of the state.

“As you may know, Arizona is home to 22 tribal reservations, including
portions of the nation’s largest, the Navajo Nation. While Arizona has
seen progress in broadband availability and speeds thanks in part to
significant investments by the private sector, more work must be done,
particularly in rural parts of the state,”writes Senator McCain. “Based
on conversations I have had with communities in Arizona proactively
working to improve broadband infrastructure, I believe a regional
workshop organized by NTIA and BroadbandUSA would receive enthusiastic
support in the state.”

-------------
The letter:

April 26, 2016

Lawrence E. Strickling
Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information and
Administrator,
National Telecommunications and Information Administration,
U.S. Department of Commerce
Herbert Hoover Building, Room 4898
Fourteenth Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20230

Dear Mr. Strickling,

Among the most significant concerns of my constituents in Arizona’s
rural communities, including on tribal lands, is broadband internet
access. As you may know, Arizona is home to 22 tribal reservations,
including portions of the nation’s largest, the Navajo Nation. While
Arizona has seen progress in broadband availability and speeds thanks in
part to significant investments by the private sector, more work must be
done, particularly in rural parts of the state. These areas could most
benefit from the educational opportunities, economic growth and medical
and emergency services made possible through improved broadband access.

With this in mind, I write to enlist the technical expertise of the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s (NTIA)
BroadbandUSA program in partnering with Arizona stakeholders to improve
broadband infrastructure in the state.

Relying on the expertise acquired through its work administering
broadband-focused grants, NTIA’s BroadbandUSA is now “providing
communities with technical and strategic advice on how to expand
broadband access and adoption.” Based on conversations among staff, I
appreciate your organization’s willingness to work with Arizona
communities to provide this expertise.

I also understand that as part of its mission, BroadbandUSA is carrying
out a series of regional workshops to aid communities seeking to expand
local broadband deployment by providing “free hands-on technical
assistance, toolkits, guides, webinars and other support.” NTIA has
completed six of these regional workshops to date, from California and
the Pacific Northwest, to Mississippi and New England. Given the unique
and significant challenges facing Arizona and the southwest region in
deploying broadband, particularly in rural areas and tribal lands, I
believe Arizona would be a fitting location for a future regional
workshop.

This workshop would be an opportunity for state, local and federal
officials, tribal leaders, the private sector, broadband providers, and
other community members to come together to better understand the
challenges Arizona faces, to examine successful broadband efforts from
other parts of the country, and to identify solutions for Arizona’s
digital future. Based on conversations I have had with communities in
Arizona proactively working to improve broadband infrastructure, I
believe a regional workshop organized by NTIA and BroadbandUSA would
receive enthusiastic support in the state. Please let me know if
scheduling such a workshop in my home state is feasible in the near
future.

Expanding high-quality and reliable broadband is necessary to ensure all
Arizonans have access to basic telecommunications services for health
care, public safety, and education, and to be sure these communities can
be tap into 21st century opportunities in economic development. I
appreciate your support in achieving this goal.

Sincerely,

John McCain

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200