[1st-mile-nm] AT&T/ Plateau Deal

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Wed Jun 25 08:51:23 PDT 2014

http://www.telecompetitor.com/rural-wireless-consolidation-continues-att-plateau-deal/

Rural communications service provider Plateau Telecommunications said today that it has reached an agreement to sell its wireless operations in eastern New Mexico and West Texas to AT&T, making Plateau the latest in a long line of small carriers that have moved away from the wireless market. The operations that are being sold are comprised of partnerships between Plateau, Yucca Telecom, Five Area Telephone Cooperative, South Plains Telephone Cooperative, Mid-Plains Rural Telephone Cooperative and West Texas Rural Telephone.

For decades, Plateau has been the incumbent local carrier in parts of New Mexico and the company will continue to offer landline communications services including IPTV and high-speed Internet. In today’s announcement, Plateau CEO Tom Phelps said “Plateau is a very diverse telecommunications company. While the wireless part of the business has certainly been important to us, we are pleased to be in a position to focus more on our other quality telecommunication services provided through our extensive fiber network.”

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute          www.1st-mile.org
P. O.  Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM    87504
505-603-5200                 rl at 1st-mile.org