[1st-mile-nm] News from Utah, Kansas and Colorado

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Thu Feb 6 15:40:40 PST 2014

While 19 states variously limit or undermine municipal and other public
sector broadband initiatives,
the cable lobby has recently put forward a legislative bill in Kansas,
and a new restrictive bill has been put forward in Utah.
Here are updates on these deeply concerning events:

A bill that would impose a statewide ban on municipalities building
broadband networks has been buried this week in the Kansas legislature.
http://cjonline.com/news/state/2014-02-05/wire-cut-senate-bill-banning-municipal-broadband-networks

For background info. on this, see:
http://alturl.com/g5k53

Utah bill would stop regional fiber networks from expanding
Bill seen as gift to incumbent ISPs who are threatened by UTOPIA fiber
network.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/utah-bill-would-stop-regional-fiber-networks-from-expanding/?

Meanwhile, in Montrose, CO, the City looks to recoup broadband rights
http://www.montrosepress.com/news/city-looks-to-recoup-broadband-rights/article_41190e94-8d5e-11e3-b8bc-001a4bcf887a.html

The City of Montrose is dissatisfied with the current climate of
broadband connectivity in the region, and on April 1, it will ask voters
to restore its right to provide that service to the public.

At (this week’s) City Council meeting, the Council (approved) a
resolution to place a question on the general election ballot. It will
ask city voters whether the City may recoup its right to provide
telecommunication services, advanced services and cable television
services. The City’s main focus with the measure is on advanced
services, particularly expanding the region’s broadband capabilities.

“We’ve been working on improving our broadband in the community for
quite some time,” Virgil Turner, City Director of Innovation and Citizen
Engagement, said. “The City has recognized that broadband is an area
where we are not on equal footing with the Front Range.”

Stay tuned to the 1st-Mile list for updates on these stories and more.

RL

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504