[1st-mile-nm] Santa Fe Broadband Article

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Mon Jan 13 11:16:51 PST 2014

The article copied below, from the Santa Fe New Mexican, is making it
onto a number of national broadband lists.   Unfortunately, the article
doesn't really say much.   I have been following current Santa Fe
broadband initiatives closely, and I know that a number of those
directly involved are subscribed to this list.  I therefore ask those of
you who can, please use this list to provide additional details, status
and other appropriate, non-proprietary information.    I also ask that
this be a civil exchange, without any self-serving rants.   Having
personal off-list familiarity with the broadband issues at play in City
and County of Santa Fe, and the north central NM region, I can imagine a
productive conversation on grounded realities, options, best ways
forward.
RL

----------

Science Matters: City targets lack of broadband options

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/health_and_science/science-matters-city-targets-lack-of-broadband-options/article_bd4891ff-78a8-5ec4-baad-15759c749c01.html

Roger Snodgrass

As a lot of developments swirl around the Internet, which has become a
critical source of economic opportunity in the world today, Santa Fe’s
quest for cheaper, faster access to the Web faces a test as early as
next month. Even with a million dollars to spend, thanks to a capital
improvement project funded in 2012, city officials will have to make a
very strategic move to gain much headway against even modest community
needs and expectations.

By contrast, all of of Taos soon will be connected to the Internet at
gigabit speed, about a thousand times faster than what is currently
known as high speed. The next level is called terabit speed, and it is
another thousand times faster. By partnering with the Kit Carson
Electric Cooperative and using its grid for distribution, Taos expects
to leap forward in the information age.

A federal grant of $64 million covers the cost, which is about what it
would cost to do the same in Santa Fe. Also making a bold move, Google
is rolling out a new fiber-optic program in Kansas City, Mo.; Kansas
City, Kan.; and Austin, Texas, among other places, that offers
connection speeds of up to 1,000 megabits per second, which the company
predicts will be about 100 times faster than existing high-speed
broadband.

In Santa Fe, city project administrator Sean Moody puts the issue in
the context of telecommunications and its local impact. “This is on the
radar of city council that includes cell towers and overhead power
lines,” he said. Economic development and education are in there, too,
along with urban planning. Various cooperative efforts have been and
will continue to play a role in local efforts. The city can hope to get
lucky like Taos, but meanwhile, it has to work effectively with what it
has.

Capital improvement project funds must be spent on something that needs
to be built, and Moody thinks he has found a bottleneck that could be
fixed with a little work. Currently, there is one major link from Santa
Fe to the backbone of the Internet, the main pipes that loop east and
west through Albuquerque and connect with the rest of the world. “The
distribution is relatively competitive and well-regulated.” Moody said.
“What is not competitive is the wholesale transport side.” Providers pay
fees for access, and if you use that provider, “The world is at your
disposal.” There are at least four potential candidates for competition,
but by the time that main branch line connects Santa Fe, he said, there
is only a single player, and that’s Qwest. It’s called Qwest Classic.

Moody has compared rates in Albuquerque with Santa Fe rates, and he has
determined there is no significant difference in rates at speeds between
5 Mbps and 10 Mbps. But large businesses such as Christus St. Vincent
Regional Medical Center, big data users like film-editing services,
large employers such as Thornburg Investment Management and Genzyme
Genetics, and the city and county are paying twice as much for bandwidth
at the 100 Mbps scale. He believes the minimal competition could be
remedied by building a co-location facility that would house a second
pipe, enabling interconnection with additional providers.

All the major networks run through the same pipes, although they don’t
necessarily own them in the same way. Andrew Blum writes in Tubes, a
popular book that explores the physical aspects of the Internet: “The
networks carry networks. One company might own the actual fiber-optic
cables, while another operates the light signals pulsing over that
fiber, and a third owns, or more likely rents, the bandwidth encoded in
that light.” Few of the players can stake a claim based on actual
digging to deposit cable, but among them they own rights to many strands
of cable, or even bandwidths of light within a strand of fiber, in which
the stream of information is transmitted.

To those who want a faster Internet connection from the Santa Fe
capital project, Moody advises patience. “This has value immediately, by
opening up the wholesale market and value in the future by opening
fiber,” he said. “Whether we start operating at terabit speeds or start
flying around on jetpacks, whatever we do, this program and the co-lo
are going to be instrumental.”
If you asked the precocious kids in the “It’s not complicated” AT&T
commercials whether bigger and faster is better, they probably would say
yes. But sometimes the situation is complicated. “Right now, Santa Fe
may be on a long list of places where Internet operators would like to
go, and this speeds it up by about 10 years,” Moody said. “We’re doing
this because we want to get there sooner.”

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504
www.1st-mile.org  rl at 1st-mile.org