[1st-mile-nm] How Broadband Mapping Drives Economic Development and Planning Initiatives

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Wed Jan 8 11:41:30 PST 2014

Here's an article on Broadband Mapping by Connected Nation
(which I and others have sometimes been critical of in the past),
highlighting the approach and benefits of this important work.

http://informedinfrastructure.com/7236/how-broadband-mapping-drives-economic-development-and-planning-initiatives/

As we all know, broadband infrastructure, services and gaps mapping
can have many benefits, especially for improved location-based
decision-making.    All states and some territories are currently
involved in NTIA funded and FCC coordinated State Broadband Mapping.
NM DoIT has been taking the lead on this for New Mexico, and has
additionally produced some integrated initiatives, studies, reports
and recommendations, as cited on this list previously.

As possible, it would be good to get updates on NM's broadband mapping,
program status, data refinement and analysis, limits to what will be
able to be accomplished with current NTIA funding, and future/ongoing
possibilities.   See: http://www.doit.state.nm.us/broadband/index.shtml

RL

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200