[1st-mile-nm] Friedman on Chattanooga's fiber network

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Wed Nov 21 20:51:02 PST 2012

I sure wish I know who in Santa Fe to send this to:

And that brings me back to Chattanooga, where, Mayor Ron Littlefield says,
city elders looked themselves in the eyes 15 years ago and realized that
“we were a dilapidated city going the way of the Rust Belt.” But, by coming
together to make the city an attractive place to live and getting both
parties to agree to invest in a fiber-to-every-home-and-business network in
a 600-square-mile area, Chattanooga replaced its belching smokestacks with
an Amazon.com fulfillment center, major health care and insurance companies
and a beehive of tech start-ups that all thrive on big data and
super-high-speed Internet

This is amazing:

How fast is that Chattanooga choo-choo? The majority of Chattanooga homes
and businesses get 50 megabits per second, some 100 megabits, a few 250 and
those with big needs opt for a full gigabit per second

I'm lucky to get 1.5 down, .5 up.

   -- Owen