[1st-mile-nm] Peering, a contrast between New Mexico and the rest of the world.

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Tue Jan 17 20:02:19 PST 2012

The complexity in the network can be reduced by using things like Route-Servers at an neutral and open exchange point.
This reduces the complexity by only need to configure a single BGP neighbor session.
The route server at Any2IX was a few lines of code on our router and that yielded over 100 peers.

Peering is a business and a technical decision.
Citizen facing entities (State, County, City, .EDU, etc) should look to adopt a liberal and open policy like most of their peers thru-out the rest of the planet.

Service providers, while being competitors, each benefit by establishing peering.  It reduces the dependency on one or two paths to others.

Most ABQ ISP's are connected via TW Telecom.  Failure there causes large-ish outage and reachability issues.
Some claim redundancy with other providers, yet the routes are not in the route table and manual intervention is needed to "turn on" the redundancy at the time of failure.

Why should an email to Las Cruces from Santa Fe depend on if the internet is working in California or Texas?

Why should an email or web visit to someone at the PRC depend on out-of-state infra-structure?

Some of the excuses I've heard on why folks don't peer.

It costs way to much money to manage and maintain the BGP session.
You are getting a benefit from us, so we should charge you for it.
What would we do if all of the ISP's wanted to peer with us. We couldn't handle that.
My network will be damaged if the BGP session fails
It violates State / or Federal purchasing rules.

Next I'll report on how easy it is to setup peering in New York City, a city that is NOT easy.  We turn up our Wave to 60 Hudson in about 75 days.

New Mexico wants to improve access to people that live here.  Service providers need to cooperate and work-together to achieve that goal.