[1st-mile-nm] Santa Fe Fiber Conduit Project Update

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Mon Dec 12 08:13:24 PST 2011

Another part of the issue is, will this be engineered properly.
Saying you are going to place a conduit in the ground that others can use is a nice simple statement.
But it doesn't disclose anything to do about the size of that conduit.
You size the conduit based on the size of the cable(s) you plan to pull through it.
So if they put a 2" pipe in, that really won't let more than maybe one or two providers in.
If you DO NOT put some sort of inter-duct in, then the next guy/gal to come along with cable runs the very HIGH RISK of snagging the first cable.
So you solve this by putting in inter-duct.  But that takes up volume in the pipe, and there is a finite amount of duct you can put into a pipe.

So let's say you size this as a 4" pipe, and place (4) 1" inter-ducts in.  That limits you to 4 providers, or 4 cables.
Those cables are limited in size because of the 1" inter-duct size.  You are at best going to get maybe a 144, or a 216 count cable.  That is NOT enough for today/future.

Then you have the entire "who is responsible for maintaining it".  Where does the finger pointing go when something doesn't work?

Can a service provider come along and intercept the conduit mid-way ??
How are the other provider cables protected? Who is responsible for that?
What happens if it breaks?

I'd love to know what they mean by "private interconnection facilities".

Based on what I've seen of the City's previous "engineering", they would be better served by CHANGING the current, highly abusive, telcom franchise, into something that PROMOTES and SUPPORTS private-sector coming to Santa Fe and building.

Instead of wasting money on these "Conduits to No Where".

The City Leadership, implemented a franchise ordinance that PROHIBITS (via high cost fees paid to the City) the deployment of competitive fiber networks.

The City is now spending hundreds of thousands (estimated) defending a federal lawsuit, rightfully brought by Qwest against the City.

This is the SECOND time the City Leadership has tried to impose anti-competitive restrictions on service providers.  The first time, Qwest sued in Federal Court and the City LOST.   I suspect they will LOOSE again.

If the people of Santa Fe want fiber to the home, to the small business, then those people MUST tell their elected officials to create a regulatory environment that promotes such activities.