[1st-mile-nm] The Peering Mess

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Tue Sep 27 19:50:28 PDT 2011

Interesting article.

I've been running a little project that does route and path analysis of most of the local providers.
I'll be publishing the data in a report that shows how each provider in NM is connected to other providers in NM, how much asymmetry exists between the various connections.

I guess we do have a "defacto" peering in NM.

Just BUY your transit connection from TW Telecom and you in effect are peered with others in the State.

Oh, wait, if TW Telecom has a network failure then not only will you LOOSE peering, but you will also LOOSE your transit...... Ouch.

Oh and BTW.  Another interesting tid-bit.  Many ABQ ISP's share the same fate path as their neighbor / competitor.  One or two fiber breaks could cause several providers to become islands and not connected to the world.

The level of "single point of failure" in our City and in our State is amazing.  Its serious and its critical.

Peering is economic development , its cost reduction, is service reliability improvement, its better customer experience, its better network operations.