[1st-mile-nm] NM Broadband Report 2011

Richard Lowenberg lowenberg at designnine.com
Thu Sep 1 13:33:28 PDT 2011

I've just completed the attached New Mexico Broadband Report which has been prepared
to provide a mid-2011‘snapshot’ update on the state of broadband developments in this state.

The report is not all-inclusive, and does not go into detail on any noted projects, but it does
recommend development and continued updates to the “New Mexico Integrated Strategic
Broadband Initiative” plan of 2008, which should be inclusive and detailed, serving to improve and
coordinate statewide broadband related decision-making and economically vitalizing actions.

Achieving more equitable, life and livelihood improving ‘broadband for all’ in New Mexico, will
require dedicated commitment, improved understandings, greater coordination, state and local
leadership, public-private cooperation, aggregation of rural demand and evolving business models.

The report makes other very general recommendations, which cumulatively could help to achieve
‘greatest bang for limited bucks’ on the ground, while resulting in New Mexico’s potential ability to
move up in U.S. state broadband rankings, from current 46th place, to being in the top ten within five years.

Please respond to me directly, not to the list, if I have made errors or mis-statements, or should otherwise
correct, revise or update this report.    I will incorporate appropriate new information, and will post an update to this list.
Thanks in advance.

Richard

Richard Lowenberg
P. O. Box 8001,  Santa Fe, NM  87504