[1st-mile-nm] Fiber in Chihuahua

Richard Lowenberg lowenberg at designnine.com
Fri Aug 12 11:13:37 PDT 2011

Here's broadband news of interest from across the border.   RL

BBR User Gets Early Peek At Mexico's Telmex FTTH
Chihuahua User Among First Telmex FTTH Customers

www.dslreports.com/shownews/BBR-User-Gets-Early-Peek-At-Mexicos-Telmex-FTTH-115638
The State of Fiber Broadband in Mexico

Around February of 2011 I noticed that Mexico's largest phone company Telmex started laying fiber-optic cable around my neighborhood in the city of Chihuahua in the state of the same name. At the time I was not entirely sure for what reason, after some research I confirmed that it was for an FTTH (Fiber to the Home) roll-out, as suspected. Chihuahua is not as large or commercially important as other cities in Mexico such as Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey. Chihuahua is not as densely populated as any of the previously mentioned cities and it only has 819,543 inhabitants as of 2010, yet Telmex was rolling-out FTTH like in in other small cities, as I later discovered.

In contrast, El Paso, Texas (the nearest US city) which has a similar population size -- is probably not going to be considered for FTTH builds in the near future. Households in El Paso are stuck with "vanilla" DSL and Cable, which only goes to about 15 Mbps.

(snip)

Richard Lowenberg
P. O. Box 8001,  Santa Fe, NM  87504
505-989-9110 off.; 505-603-5200 cell