[1st-mile-nm] 10 U.S. States With The Slowest Internet Speeds

John Badal jbadal at sacred-wind.com
Tue Aug 2 10:26:04 PDT 2011

It seems to me that the survey is entirely skewed not by rurality but by income.  In the report on this survey it is stated that " By tracking the downloads of 4 million users across the United States  ... "  some conclusion is made as to the Internet speed available?????   I'll wager that the lower ranking states in this survey are also the lower average family income states too.

In our company's territory for example, we currently make available 5 Mbps per residential customer, but 50% of our customers subscribe to our lowest priced service @ 256Kbps.  If they were surveyed, their download speeds would detract from the NM total.  If our network capacity and number of customers covered (as well as for other RLECs in NM) were the target of a survey, NM's standing would be far different.  (Our network actually has the capacity to provide far higher speeds to our customers - up to 100 Mbps in areas -- but we apportion no more than 5 Mbps to our residents so as to manage our bandwidth costs.)

John