[1st-mile-nm] Gig.U

Richard Lowenberg lowenberg at designnine.com
Thu Jul 28 13:25:43 PDT 2011

Gig.U, a nationwide research university broadband initiative was announced yesterday.
Gig.U calls for participating universities to work with the private sector to enhance their
network capabilities and to extend Gigabit broadband access to surrounding communities.

UNM is one of the initial 29 participating universities.   Gil Gonzales, Ph.D., UNM CIO said:

“Connectivity in New Mexico is critical to our long term academic and economic development success.
The University of New Mexico is pleased to collaborate with our national research peers to develop
innovative solutions to community network connectivity.  As New Mexico’s flagship university,
UNM is committed to provide leadership in bringing the educational, cultural and economic
implications of broadband to our very diverse Native and Hispanic, rural populations.”

See:  www.gig-u.org/

Richard Lowenberg
P. O. Box 8001,  Santa Fe, NM  87504
505-989-9110 off.; 505-603-5200 cell