[1st-mile-nm] Framework for Digitally Inclusive Communities: Report

Richard Lowenberg lowenberg at designnine.com
Wed Jun 22 08:06:35 PDT 2011

Here's another just released report of value to libraries,
cultural institutions, communities and individuals in NM and elsewhere.
RL

From: Janell Muhammad <JMuhammad at imls.gov>
Date: Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 9:20 AM
Subject: Proposed Framework for Digitally Inclusive Communities

Dear Colleague,

I am pleased to let you know that the first phase of our work on digital
inclusion has come to an end and that, with your help, we have published the
“Proposed Framework for Digitally Inclusive Communities.”

Together with the University of Washington Information School and the International
City/County Management Association, we provided a platform for libraries,
community based organizations and the many publics they serve – to come
together and share a vision for digitally inclusive communities.  Thank you
for the important role you played in this effort and for sharing your
expertise about the needs and complexities of local communities.  Your
perspective helped to ground this work with sound principles and goals that
set a foundation for the future.

As you know this work was undertaken in response to the National Broadband
Plan, which identified the rising costs of digital exclusion in American
society.  It is clear that public officials have new roles to play to help
their communities assess their current capabilities, and to work across
institutional boundaries to create, implement and evaluate plans for
broadband adoption and use.  We hope that a common set of principles, will
help business, anchor institutions (schools, hospitals, libraries), public
safety and cultural institutions, to work together to fully and effectively
realize the value of a digitally inclusive community.

During the next few months we will be holding a series of community forums
to further develop and test the proposed framework and continue to develop
plans for implementation and outreach. We hope that the work we have done
together will inspire the development of new tools to help community leaders
make strategic investments in public access technology to meet the public’s
ever changing information needs.

You remain an important part of this process and we hope that you will
disseminate the proposed framework among your colleagues, use your blog or
other communications networks to talk about your participation in the
process and continue to be in touch with us with your thoughts and insights.

Here are links to the materials:

§  Building Digitally Inclusive Communities: A brief guide to the proposed
framework http://www.imls.gov/pdf/DIC-FrameworkBrief.pdf
(provides a high level summary of the proposed framework)

§  Building Digitally Inclusive Communities: A guide to the proposed
framework http://www.imls.gov/pdf/DIC-FrameworkGuide.pdf

§  Proposed Framework for Digitally Inclusive Communities: Final Report
http://www.imls.gov/pdf/DIC-FrameworkReport.pdf (Provides in-depth details
on development of the proposed framework)

Press release http://www.imls.gov/news/2011/061711.shtm

Sincerely,
Susan H. Hildreth

Richard Lowenberg