[1st-mile-nm] Rural Broadband Policy Group

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Thu May 19 08:51:12 PDT 2011

Hey Folks,

I wanted to make sure you are aware of a good group of folks trying to
represent some of the feelings about rural broadband that I've seen
expressed on this list... affordable, reliable, and fast access to the
Internet should be available to everyone.

I'm a part of the Rural Broadband Policy Group, a coalition of people
who organize for these policies.  I wrote about the group here:
http://www.muninetworks.org/content/organizing-change-rural-communities-and-broadband

I'm letting you know in case you, or a group you represent, may be
interested in learning about, and possibly signing on to comments we
make on issues that impact that.  It is often hard for each of us to
respond to all the requests for comments from DC agencies and such,
but this group makes it possible to amplify our voice and try to be
heard in DC.

I'm not calling for a DC-centric strategy by any stretch - we also try
to keep each other informed on what is happening at the state level
and arrange  meetings with officials to educate them so they don't get
all their information solely from existing incumbents.

Best,

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Telecommunications as Commons Initiative
Institute for Local Self-Reliance
http://www.muninetworks.org
@communitynets
612-276-3456