[1st-mile-nm] [I2-NEWS] Internet2 and Level 3 to Provide Unprecedented Network Capacity to R&E Institutions

Richard Lowenberg lowenberg at designnine.com
Thu Apr 14 19:02:52 PDT 2011

The following announcement from Internet2 and Level 3, as it notes, builds upon a large NTIA BTOP award to U.S. UCAN.
It is of interest to this list as some of our state's networking champions at UNM are actively involved in this initiative,
which will have specific networking enhancements and applications in NM.
As this effort is realized, I hope we can be posted on New Mexico networking and anchor institution developments.
RL

> From: Ryan Bass <bassr at internet2.edu>
> Date: April 14, 2011 9:49:27 AM EDT
> To: i2-news at internet2.edu
> Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 and Level 3 to Provide Unprecedented Network Capacity to R&E Institutions
>
> Internet2 and Level 3 to Provide Unprecedented Amount of Network Capacity to Research and Educational Institutions in Support of Telemedicine, Distance Learning and a Range of Research Programs
>
> - Level 3 to provide fiber and network support - critical building blocks for new 8.8 Terabit network
> - Federal stimulus-funded network to accommodate advanced applications for more than 200,000 community anchor institutions nationwide - three times the amount reached today
>
> ANN ARBOR, Mich. and BROOMFIELD, Colo., April 14, 2011 – Internet2 and Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: LVLT) today announced a new, multi-year agreement to build a national network with an unprecedented 8.8 Terabits of capacity designed to support more than 200,000 community anchor institutions nationwide, including K-12 schools, libraries, community colleges, health centers, hospitals and public safety organizations. The new network, partially funded by a federal stimulus grant, will enable a wide variety of bandwidth-intensive applications and data sharing. Network development and deployment is scheduled to begin immediately with the first coast-to-coast segments expected to be in service by mid-summer.
>
> Under the terms of the agreement, Internet2, an advanced networking consortium led by the U.S. research and education community, will acquire the right to use fiber strands on Level 3’s fiber-optic network as well as Level 3’s network management support to enable its new national 8.8 Terabit Optical System and 100 Gigabit Ethernet Network. Internet2 will utilize more than 10,000 miles of fiber on the Level 3 national footprint and gain the ability to obtain additional miles for the next three years as needed. Level 3 will install Internet2’s 8.8 Terabit optical equipment and provide 24/7 monitoring and field support to these facilities. Colocation facilities and power for the network will also be provided by Level 3.
>
> Through a federal stimulus grant from the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP), Internet2 is dramatically expanding the capacity and footprint of its network to meet the immediate high-performance, high-capacity needs of research and higher education – the community that Internet2 has served since its inception.

> [...]

Richard Lowenberg
P. O. Box 8001,  Santa Fe, NM  87504
505-989-9110 off.; 505-603-5200 cell