[1st-mile-nm] $41 Million NSF grant for NM Supercomputer Projects

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Mon Nov 16 10:09:56 PST 2009

Governor Richardson Announces $41 Million in Federal Funding from the National
Science Foundation for New Mexico Computer Projects

November 13, 2009
Alarie Ray-Garcia (505) 476-2248

State?s Supercomputer enables Projects Eligibility for Funding

SANTA FE-Governor Richardson today announced that the National Science
Foundation has awarded the University of New Mexico $41M for collaborative
projects involving the state?s supercomputer, Encanto.

The New Mexico Computing Applications Center, which oversees Encanto, is under
contract for $5.3 million in support of those grants. The awards will provide
funding over a five-year period to the supercomputing center.

"These grants recognize the value and importance of our supercomputing
efforts,? Governor Richardson said. ?I am pleased that the center is on
track to meet the goals I set for it: bringing new resources into the State
that create jobs and grow high-tech capabilities, supporting STEM education,
and generating revenues to make the center self sustaining."

The New Mexico Computing Applications Center grants cover a range of research
that is important to New Mexico. The projects are as follows:

? Data collection, analysis, and computer modeling of how climate change will
impact mountain water systems in New Mexico.
? Development of a long-term database that will provide scientists, decision
makers, and citizens with the information needed to address environmental,
social, and technological challenges.
? Development of educational programs that employ the supercomputer.
? Improve broadband access to colleges in New Mexico that are gateways to the
supercomputer.

Additional information on the New Mexico Computing Applications Center can be
found at www.newmexicosupercomputer.com

--
Richard Lowenberg
1st-Mile Institute