[1st-mile-nm] The Broadband Gap: Why Is Theirs Cheaper?

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:44:42 PDT 2009

1. European broadband providers don't always do it alone --
most builds (accounting for a third of the homes served) are
public-private partnerships.

2. Europe lags in fiber -- a third the homes served as the
US. This is in part because of comments in the post, but
also due to fact that their DSL is better -- short copper
loops over newer wire that allows easy pair bonding. Some
areas get 50 Mbps over DSL.

3. Japan has the most fiber to home, and the networks are in
general open-access (anything built by NTT East and NTT West
has to be). Monthly charges are as high or higher than in
the US, but for much more bandwidth and far more diversity
of services offered. Mobile charges are higher than in the
US as well.

4. Scandinavia, especially Sweden, leads Europe in open
access fiber -- in part because the low population densities
make other technologies awkward to deploy.

5. Data suggest that fiber "risk" to deploy is minimal.

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties
steve at broadbandproperties.com