[1st-mile-nm] Insanely ill-informed NYT broadband article

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 06:00:32 PST 2009

The front page of the NYT today leads with a story on
broadband in the stimulus bill so utterly, insanely stupid
that it could only have been stimulated by spokesmen for
incumbent providers -- the big cable and telco interests. In
fact, I KNOW it was, because I rejected the same bullshit
when these guys and gals started calling almost two weeks
ago. Broadband to nowhere? Give me a break. The incumbents'
PR teams worked overtime for THAT one.

But it seems the bullshit has found a home after all. And
the NYT carelessness will now set the tone for all the
clueless parrots and stenographers who call themselves
reporters out there.

Aside from the usual unnamed "sources say," there are
several quotes from people whose names simply never come up
in the debate on ultrabroadband issues.

There are several active public policy listservs on this
topic, going full-tilt right now. Craig Settles, who has
played a useful role in the debate on municipal wifi (NOT
rural broadband -- and the issues are not even close to
being the same) and who is the lead quote in the article, is
not contributing to either of them.

Our magazine follows broadband policy better, I think, than
anyone else, and called for $30 billion for ultra-broadband
in the stimulus package.

The best wowsers in the NYT involve the idea that it would
take 15 years to do the rural buildout, and that nothing is
ready to go in the next 18 months. The implication is also
that rural broadband is very expensive.

Reality check:

1. Except for a bit of point-to-point wireless, rural areas
do not do wifi. It doesn't scale to the bandwidths and
reliability needed for economic development, telemedicine,
distance learning, and so forth.

2. Rural broadband can make money, and we track (as a small
part of our mission) 400 "tier 3 incumbent local exchange
carriers" -- mainly small rural telcos -- that make money at
it and have installed fiber-optic networks -- often with
better technology than Verizon is using in its FiOS build.
The trick is not to look at population density, but at homes
passed per mile on the roads.

A year ago, you needed 8-12 homes passed per mile to make it
pay. You now need 6 or 8 thanks to some clever technology
improvements announced in early October (our November issue,
at www.bbpmag.com details it in plain English). That's
because the "take rate" and average revenue per customer is
so much higher in rural areas. This may exclude some rural
areas in the flatlands, but they add up to 1-2% of US homes.

3. How fast can these things be built? The NYT article says
15 years. We know of dozens of good business plans (and,
yes, a half-dozen not-good) that could start construction
TOMORROW if they could raise the money.

We're talking about credit markets so frozen that, for
example, a $93 million 22-town build in Vermont, presold to
nearly half the residents and with experienced management,
can't sell muni lease paper with a coupon rate around 8
percent and an after-tax return of 11 percent. We see $1-2
billion of the $9 billion in the federal bill that could be
spent TOMORROW.

4. Can the industry scale to absorb the $9 billion? Easily.
US spending on telecom infrastructure was over $60 billion
in 2007 -- some 50% greater than spending on roads!!! And
the equipment/skillset required for deploying the best
technology, fiber-optic cable, is sitting idle now because
of the housing construction collapse. Basically, you lash
the new broadband cable to existing telephone wires on poles.

My magazine (which is more about policy than nitty-gritty
technical details, but covers a lot of technology as well)
estimated that we could provide the underserved 80 percent
of the ENTIRE COUNTRY in five years for $150 billion. Geez,
we gave AIG almost that much!

Talk about "banker money to nowhere." And THINK ABOUT THE
PRODUCTS AND SERVICES PEOPLE ON THIS LIST COULD OFFER if we
had the same broadband infrastructure as, say, Japan, Hong
Kong, Korea, Sweden....

--
Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief