[1st-mile-nm] Fwd: Verizon FiOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 07:18:54 PST 2009

We've been following Puerto Rico -- thanks to PacketFront --
and will want to do a story on it soon. I spend a lot of
time in Jamaica and tell them to do the same thing. Makes
sense even at their household income.

The ability of P2P to do open access easier than with GPON
(it is easier for ISPs to co-locate in a P2P CO, for one
thing) is beginning to erode. But P2P is amazingly flexible
in other ways -- easier VPNs, for instance, and more
symmetrical bandwidth.

BTW, in many US cities, the COs are space-constrained and
power-constrained, and GPON can offer a real advantage there.

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties
steve at broadbandproperties.com