[1st-mile-nm] Verizon FiOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Tue Jan 13 15:18:23 PST 2009

I was probing around for internet tv services (I'm considering
dropping cable/sat/.. and moving to AppleTV + "home theater" or
similar .. i.e. "internet tv") and happened across a NFL football site
that offers HD service through something called FiOS .. which I hadn't
seen before.

Apparently there's a very nifty broadband service evolving:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fios
Here's an older survey on it:
   http://tinyurl.com/8m4mgx
One interesting statement they make is: The results are clear. If
speed is what you're after, go with FiOS first, cable second and DSL
last.  (I'd be suspicious of the DSL/Cable difference, given the
shared nature of cable.)

Has anyone tried FiOS?  Unfortunately it is not available in Santa
Fe .. we're a bit third world, alas.  But maybe it'll get here some
time and I'd like to know if your experiences are good.

     -- Owen