[1st-mile-nm] Subject:Grappa Wireless Internet

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Tue Oct 28 22:16:26 PDT 2008

I agree that wireless is a valid 1st mile technology, like any
technology, when deployed properly.

Things to consider:

Wireless has, at present, limited bandwidth
   Really usable high bandwidth correlates to high $$
   Higher bandwidth tends to shorten the links

Certain flavors require Clear Line Of Sight
Other flavors only need Near Line Of Sight
Environmental issues can be costly
Bad neighbor issues
Requires "science" and proper planing

My personal observations and experience with wireless is that many
folks don't do the proper font side planning.

Owning your own infrastructure, and thus not relying as much on
the local Bell Corp to provide that infrastructure is good.  But
remember that Bell had Bell Labs, which did TONS of thinking
before they deployed something.

If you want to own your infrastructure, you have to be willing to
properly plan/engineer it to reap the rewards.