[1st-mile-nm] Qwest promotion ignites regulatory battle

Marianne Granoff granoff at zianet.com
Sun Oct 19 11:42:07 PDT 2008

Well, the "infrastructure-only" idea is an approach favored by some, but it is
not what we have today.

The reason that Qwest and other large LECs cannot offer the "promotions" they
wish, is that they have so much market power that they could easily
under-price
all the CLECs "temporarily" until the CLECs had no customers at
all.  Once Qwest
or the other large LEC was the monopoly again, they could raise prices.

Qwest is supposed to get approval for promotions.  They filed the
proposed tariff,
Cybermesa said "no that's unfair", and the PRC will decide who is
right in a docket.

The PRC acts as judge and both sides get to present their sides.  The PRC staff
also investigates and presents information based on what they have found.

That's the system we have today.  This is the regulatory process at
work.  The media
may call it a regulatory battle, but it happens every day over and
over on different
issues in all the regulated industries.

Marianne