[1st-mile-nm] Fwd: NM Integrated Strategic Broadband Initiative: Report

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Fri Oct 17 14:54:41 PDT 2008

Forwarded from subscriber Mike Byrnes.  rl

----- Forwarded message from mike.byrnes at enmu.edu -----
    Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:39:29 -0600
    From: Mike Byrnes <mike.byrnes at enmu.edu>
 Subject: NM Integrated Strategic Broadband Initiative: Report
      To: 'Richard Lowenberg' <rl at 1st-mile.com>,
1st-mile-nm-bounces at crank.dcn.davis.ca.us

Marianne:

Please help me understand the "major inaccuracies in the first paragraph of
the executive summary" that you found. And, if you read further, what did
you think of the rest of the report?

The first paragraph of the Exec Summary says:

"President Bush visiting Albuquerque in early 2004, called for "Broadband
for all by 2007". Early in 2007, noting lack of action, FCC Commissioner,
Michael J Copps, announced that. "The United States is the only developed
country in the world without a Broadband Strategy."

A quick Google search turned up the following:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/03/20040326-9.html

"This country needs a national goal for broadband technology, for the spread
of broadband technology. We ought to have a universal, affordable access for
broadband technology by the year 2007, and then we ought to make sure as
soon as possible thereafter, consumers have got plenty of choices when it
comes to purchasing the broadband carrier. See, the more choices there are,
the more the price will go down. And the more the price goes down, the more
users there will be. And the more users there will be, the more likely it is
America will stay on the competitive edge of world trade."

And

4/23/07
Copps Reiterates Call for a National Broadband Strategy to Address America's
Drop in Broadband Rankings.
Word <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-272519A1.doc>  |
Acrobat <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-272519A1.pdf>

April 23, 2007

Commissioner Copps Reiterates Call for a National Broadband Strategy to
Address America's Drop in Broadband Rankings

Development's announcement today that the United States has fallen in its
country-by-country ranking of broadband penetration, Commissioner Michael J.
Copps issued the following statement:

"Every year brings more bad news as the United States slides farther down
the broadband rankings.  It's a national embarrassment and the only way to
change it is to develop a broadband strategy like every other industrialized
nation has already done.  These rankings aren't a beauty contest - they're
about our competitiveness as a country and creating economic opportunity for
all our people.  Bringing high-speed broadband to every corner of the
country is the central infrastructure challenge we face.  Always in the
past, our nation found ways to stay ahead of everyone else in building
infrastructure like turnpikes, railroads and highways.  Now, in broadband,
we're not even an also-ran."