[1st-mile-nm] SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what is data anyway

peter pete at ideapete.com
Sun Oct 12 14:12:58 PDT 2008

On the quest of how truth / morality and honesty drive data ( or not ) I
came across this priceless quotation which I though I would share.

Call me nuts but it makes so much sense

QUOTATION: 	There is a tendency to mistake data for wisdom, just as
there has always been a tendency to confuse logic with values,
intelligence with insight. Unobstructed access to facts can produce
unlimited good only if it is matched by the desire and ability to find
out what they mean and where they lead. Facts are terrible things if
left sprawling and unattended. They are too easily regarded as evaluated
certainties rather than as the rawest of raw materials crying to be
processed into the texture of logic. It requires a very unusual mind,
Whitehead said, to undertake the analysis of a fact. The computer can
provide a correct number, but it may be an irrelevant number until
judgment is pronounced.
ATTRIBUTION: 	Norman Cousins (1912--1990), U.S. editor, author. "Freedom
as Teacher," Human Options: An Autobiographical Notebook, Norton (1981)

( : ( : pete
--

Peter Baston

*IDEAS*