[1st-mile-nm] 802.11-VHT: Gigabit Wireless Future?

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:19:48 PDT 2008

I've been talking to folks about this for months (I
volunteer to do some of the security-related math). Two points:

1. The sub-6 GHz idea so far would be TERRIFIC for indoor
wifi, especially in a specific dwelling unit. But over a
wider area with lots of users, you'd need a lot of radios or
it falls apart... and it might fall apart anyway (at least
the clever Motorola plan). Indoors, the planned "802.11a"
wavelength is more easily blocked than b/g/n, so ganging
multiple radios at a base station to get a MIMO pattern is a
key feature, not merely a bandwidth-enhancer.

2. In this spectrum, a lot of companies are likely to have a
stake, meaning a complex standards-setting scrum. So 2012 is
optimistic. The entrails I've been reading suggest an n-type
mashup. Ugh. we'll be lucky to get n by 2010! By 2012,
802.16-type ideas (WiMAX) and structured wiring may be the
norm; the chipsets will certainly be cheap thanks to GSM
pickup. Also, 1 Gbps in the home will probably be
obsolete/too little bandwidth by 2020.... except maybe in
places like New Mexico....<g>

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties