[1st-mile-nm] Democratic Party's Technology Platform

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Wed Aug 13 20:48:53 PDT 2008

>From the Benton Foundation's postings:

Democratic Party's Technology Platform

http://benton.org/node/16054?utm_campaign=Benton%27s+Headlines&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2008/08/13/nid-16068&

Renewing America's Promise

At its meeting in Pittsburgh in early August, the full Platform Committee
recommended that the Convention adopt the Democratic Party's national Platform
"Renewing America's Promise" when it is presented in Denver later this month.
Here's a look at the technology-relted sections.

A Connected America

In the 21st century, our world is more intertwined than at any time in human
history. This new connectedness presents us with untold opportunities for
innovation, but also new challenges. We will protect the internet's traditional
openness to innovation and creativity and ensure that it remains a dynamic
platform for free speech, innovation, and creativity. We will implement a
national broadband strategy, especially in rural areas, that enables every
American household, school library and hospital to connect to a world-class
communications infrastructure. We will rededicate our nation to ensuring that
all Americans have access to broadband and the skills to use it effectively. In
an increasingly technology-rich, knowledge-based economy, connectivity is a key
part of the solution to many of our most important challenges: job creation
economic growth, energy, health care, and education. We will establish a Chief
Technology Officer for the nation, to ensure we use technology to enhance the
functioning, transparency, and expertise of government, including establishing
a national interoperable public safety communications network to help first
responders at the local, state and national level communicate with one another
during a crisis.

We will toughen penalties, increase enforcement resources, and spur private
sector cooperation with law enforcement to identify and prosecute those who
exploit the Internet to try to harm children. We will encourage more
educational content on the Web and in our media. We will give parents the tools
and information they need to manage (in ways fully consistent with the First
Amendment) what their children see on television and the Internet. We will
strengthen privacy protections in the digital age and will harness the power of
technology to hold government and business accountable for violations of persona
privacy.

Science, Technology & Innovation

America has long led the world in innovation. But this Administration's
hostility to science has taken a toll. At a time when technology helps shape
our future, we devote a smaller and smaller share of our national resources to
research and development.

It is time again to lead. We took a critical step with the America Competes Act
and we will start by implementing that act - then we will do more. We will make
science. technology, engineering, and math education a national priority. We
will double federal funding for basic research, invest in a strong and
inspirational vision for space exploration and make the Reaearch and
Development Tax Credit permanent. We will invest in the next generation of
transformative energy technologies and health IT and we will renew the defense
R&D system. We will lift the current Administration's ban on using federal
funding for embyronic stem cells - cells that would have otherwhise have been
discarded and lost forever - for research that could save lives. We will ensure
that our patent laws protect legitimate rights while not stifling innovation and
creativity. We will end the Bush Administration's war on science, restore
scientific integrity, and return to evidence-based decision-making.

In sum, We will stregthen our system, treat science and technology as crucial
investments, and use these forces to ensure a future of economic leadership,
health well-being and national security.

Open, Accountable and Ethical Government

In Barack Obama's Administration, we will open up the doors of democracy. We
will create a new "open source" government, using technology to make government
more transparent, accountable and inclusive. Rather than obstruct people's use
of the Freedom of Information Act, we will require that agencies conduct
significant business in public and release all relevant information unless an
agency reasonably forsees harm to a protected interest.

We will lift the veil of secret deals in Washington by publishing searchable,
online information about federal grants, contracts, earmarks, loans, and
lobbyist contracts with government officials. We will make government data
available online and will have an online video archive of significant agency
meetings. We will put all non-emergency bills that Congress has passed online
for five days, to allow the American public to review and comment on them
before they are signed into law. We will require Cabinet officials to have
periodic national online town hall meetings to discuss issues before their
agencies.

Implementing our Party's agenda will require running an efficient government
that gets results. We will develop a comprehensive management agenda to prevent
operational breakdowns in government and ensure that government provides the
level of service that the American people deserve. Because we understand that
good government depends on good people, we will work to rebuild and reengage
our federal workforce. We will make the government a more attractive place to
work. Our hiring will be based only on qualification and experience, and not on
ideology or party affiliation. We will pay for our new spending, eliminate waste
in government programs, demand and measure results, and stop funding programs
that don't work.

We are committed to a participatory government. We will use the most current
technology available to improve the quality of government decision-making and
make government less beholden to special interest groups and lobbyists. We will
enhance the flow of information between citizens and government?in both
directions?by involving the public in the work of government agencies. We
will not simply solicit opinions, but will also use new technology to tap into
the vast expertise of the American citizenry, for the benefit of government and
our democracy.

--
Richard Lowenberg
1st-Mile Institute