[1st-mile-nm] [NMIPA] Azulstar finally out in Rio Rancho

peter pete at ideapete.com
Tue Jul 15 11:47:59 PDT 2008

I really hate to be right about these things and at least stopped the
city getting in over its head but what is so difficult, before these
projects start, to plan and map out requirements

This industry is crazy it just like a builder promising to build an
unlimited house / building with an unlimited budget not using any
architectural or design or planning services with a " we will work it
out brick by brick as we go ", totally nuts

On average a project is divided up into two pieces

1. Soft costs = Planning - Design - Financing etc

2. Hard Costs = Equipment - - Applications software - Services -
Management - Operations etc ( deployment rubber meets the road stuff )

Normally on an MISIT project type 1 costs need to be kept below 25% (
pref 10 - 15% )  with 75% going into the real project

In the real world when type 1 costs go over 40 - 50% the project is bankrupt

Azulstar spent about 75% on soft costs ( Type 1 )  and still did not
supply any type 1 services, Sandoval County Broadband spent over 92% on
soft costs thats why there was nothing left to do the real work on both
projects and a lot of people paid to do and or produce nothing

( : ( : pete

Peter Baston

*IDEAS*

/www.ideapete.com/ <http://www.ideapete.com/>